To begin ...

As the twentieth century fades out
the nineteenth begins
.......................................again
it is as if nothing happened
though those who lived it thought
that everything was happening
enough to name a world for & a time
to hold it in your hand
unlimited.......the last delusion
like the perfect mask of death

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Jerome Rothenberg: from A Seneca Journal: “Midwinter”

[No longer readily available, this section of A Seneca Journal was an early attempt of mine toward a poetry of minimal means – observations & off-the-cuff translations during my first viewing of the Seneca Indian Midwinter ceremonies at the Allegany Seneca reservation in western New York State.  While I’ve intercalated much of A Seneca Journal in later gatherings of my poetry I was never able to provide an alternative place for these poems, though I still find them crucial to the work that was then unfolding for myself & others.  At this later point in my life they present me with a kind of personal dreamtime, a little mysterious in retrospect & in no sense the true Seneca story as such, but vital to me in figuring what it means, both then & now, to be living in a state-of-poetry.]

A man who was a crow was traveling. He didnt know where he had come from or which way he was going. As he moved along he kept on thinking: “How did I come to be alive? Where did I come from? Where am I going?

THE HEADS
(1)
big

(2)
bushy

(3)
flying

 

STIRRING THE ASHES


sun bear
moon buffalo


4 SONGS OF THE DAWN SOCIETY


(1)
dawn


(2)
dawn

(3)
dawn

(4)
dawn


THE BEAR ROBE
had no claws


THE BUFFALO ROBE

was headless

 MIDWINTER VISION

 paddles & ashes


EVENTS

fire a rifle


touch the sun

 

THE BIG HEADS


husk shoes
husk belt
husk crown
bear snout

THE BIG HEADS SEND A MESSAGE:


HELLO        STAY CLEAN       DONT BE CONFUSED     
DON’T STEP ON THINGS WHEN MOVIN  
(signed)   YOUR UNCLES

THE BEAR


his paw up
to the sun

THE BUFFALO

head crowned
with flowers


BUFFALO PUDDING


like the mud
he stamps in


BEAR DANCE

snort
snort
berries

BUFFALO DANCE

sniff
sniff
mush


THE SYMBOL

pine branch
on men's room wall
above
the thermostat



pine branch
on mask


THE FACES (1)

blew ashes
thru my hair

THE FACES (2)

whose big mask
cools it down 

THE FACES (3)
with hanging little balls of medicine

THE FACES (4)

had gambled for
the earth

 

FALSE FACES


& phony smiles


THE SIGNATURES (1)
pounders for corn

paddles for soup


THE INSTRUMENTS (2)

water
drums 
horn
rattles


FIRE EVENTS


put out an old fire


kindle a new fire

          
do a war dance in the name of peace


(interlude)

speaking to Ham
was flicking my ashes into
Leslie Bowen's
soup pail


SIGNATURES (1)

their names on a paddle

SIGNATURES (2)

Emory Jacobs Double Flower

SIGNATURES (3)

18–
96


SYMMETRICAL POEM


shaking the pumpkin


shaking the bush


shaking the jug


POUNDING THE WOODEN FLOOR   
WITH BROOMSTICKS  
THE WOMEN SANG SIX SONGS

                                                 going walking 
                                      in the middle of the room                                                                                                              a garden    
                                                   I was  alone                                         
                                              we all came back 
                                                    & sat here


MIDWINTER MEMORY


Green Corn


SONG


****************************
*I*love*my************world*
****************************
****************************
*I*love*my*************time*
****************************
****************************
*I*love*my*growing*children*
****************************
****************************
*I*love*my*******old*people*
****************************
****************************
*I*love*my*******ceremonies*
****************************

 


PRAYER EVENT


dancing



OBSOLETE QUESTIONS

who’s got an old dream?


who’s got a new dream?


who’s got a white dog?


DREAM EVENT (1)


See something in a dream & tell it as a riddle.

Let someone guess the riddle, let him give the object as a gift.

 


DREAM EVENT (2)


Act out a dream.

Let everybody’s brains turn upside down.



THE PUMPKIN
 
has a lake inside it


THE BEADS

seen in my eyes                                                                                                                                                                          with many colors
* dream-guessing riddles


MIDWINTER


when I cough


THE ANCESTORS

Handsome
Lake



Happy                                                                                                                                                       Hoolihan
  

CONCLUSION


it was all I could do


it was all I had learned


it was all that there was


[N.B. A special boxed edition of Seneca Journal: Midwinter, “with objects & collages by the author & Philip Sultz,” was published by Singing Bone Press, St. Louis, in 1975.  The cover of that edition appears above.]
 

No comments: