To begin ...

As the twentieth century fades out
the nineteenth begins
.......................................again
it is as if nothing happened
though those who lived it thought
that everything was happening
enough to name a world for & a time
to hold it in your hand
unlimited.......the last delusion
like the perfect mask of death

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Jerome Rothenberg: from The President of Desolation: “A Book of Mirrors”


[In preparation for my next full-length book of poems, The President of Desolation, to be published by Black Widow Press in April, I’m posting here an excerpt from a still longer section of the book, titled “Five Books.”  To compose these five I drew from earlier poems of mine, breaking them into fragments or stanzas containing respectively the key words “shadows,” “deaths,” “gods,” “dreams,” and “mirrors,” to each of which I added a newly composed coda.  As a further act of retrospection and autovariation, they fit for me into the work of reclamation I have recently been  engaged in. (j.r.)]

1/
I smile into a mirror
& my face
glares back.
A father holds his babe
up to the light.
Where will it lead us?
Heaven is no place for fools.
I run my fingers
through your hair
& feel the universe
shut down.


2/
The generals are gathering.
They stare into each other’s eyes
through mirrors.
With a display of wounds
we signal them
& turn away.  I am the last
because the fire
deep inside
burns till it’s morning.

3/
Great distances
are mine.  I plot
their numbers
but I know
that every universe
contains another.
There is no end in sight
& no beginning.
The stars stay dark
in mirrors
until your fingers
counting them
have dropped away.

4/
We look at every mirror
as a mere memento.
Mirages have arisen
& we swim in them.
I make my way by stealth.
In a house of children
no one reigns
or sleeps.  The walls
start at the floor
& touch the ceiling.

5/
Eager to break through language
& touch life
I crack my head against
a mirror.
I hack at a false body
with a stick
pushing the flames apart
until the heart appears.

6/
I find a secret world in mirrors.
My fingernails are pale,
my steps are perpendicular.
I parachute & strut.
I seek acceleration day by day.
I am a man who swims among the drifters.
Istanbul is not my home.
I turn a page & listen.
I am as hard as nails.
My body swells from all the sounds inside it.
I show myself in dreams.

7/
Separated by a cranny
others    more aware
stare down at us.
We have no way
to talk together,
mirror neurons that respond
only to themselves
& not to others.
A place to stand
deep in the speaker’s mind
determines speech.
The plan is self-erasing
if we wait it out,
not one of us the worse
for wear.

8/
They were prey to
maneuverings,
played them with zeal,
to no end
that they knew,
to declare new beginnings,
bestriding a sand dune,
vacuums a god might
transform to a cosmos,
infinity’s mirror,
a place internal to place,
a procedure a king
once devised,
divination from innards,
a rapturous babble.

9/
A world caught in a mirror
too vast to be contained.
Infinities of mirrors.
The ones who see it
falter, their hands
break the glass.
They are the sorry mystics,
misfits from
the middle states,
we spy them
on a distant planet,
hidden from time.


Coda to A Book of Mirrors

recalls a face
by looking past it,
looking twice
when once will do.

Reflection tells it all.

There is no better way
to measure time,
the little jesters
in the field behind you
shaking loose
the small words
clicking in their craws.

All is seen,
the mirror as a field
for memory,
your own face
foremost   a receptacle
for other faces,
old & worn.

The images not deep
but multiplied,
held on a shining surface,
we can count them
as they pass
& then return.

In a room
where all the walls
are mirrors.
you are a mirror
of yourself,
a phantom child,
elliptical.

The mystery of mirrors,
counted & re-counted
ten times over.

Right is left,
the wound across
your heart
favors the rise & fall
of breath,
the top & bottom
still in place.

Therefore it turns
into a game,
something to carry
with you,
the next time
the grave comes open,
& you enter
where a floor of mirrors
waits for you
& blinds you.*                           * binds you

No comments: