To begin ...

As the twentieth century fades out
the nineteenth begins
.......................................again
it is as if nothing happened
though those who lived it thought
that everything was happening
enough to name a world for & a time
to hold it in your hand
unlimited.......the last delusion
like the perfect mask of death

Saturday, August 28, 2021

A REDISCOVERED POEM (4) "OFFERING FLOWERS" from THE FLORENTINE CODEX (Aztec) reworked by Jerome Rothenberg with image & design by Ian Tyson

     

                              Circle Press 1968

per Bernardino de Sahagún, Spain/Mexico, 1499-1590

from the Florentine Codex: Offering Flowers

(The Aztecs had a feast which fell out in the ninth month & which they called: The Flowers Are Offered)

& two days before the feast, when flowers were sought, all scattered over the mountains, that every flower might be found

& when these were gathered, when they had come to the flowers & arrived where they were, at dawn they strung them together; everyone strung them

 & when the flowers had been threaded, then these were twisted & wound in garlands—long ones, very long, & thick—very thick

 & when morning broke the temple guardians then ministered to Huitzilopochtli; they adorned him with garlands of flowers; they placed flowers upon his head

 & before him they spread, strewed, & hung rows of all the various flowers, the most beautiful flowers, the threaded flowers

 then flowers were offered to all the rest of the gods

 they were adorned with flowers; they were girt with garlands of flowers

 flowers were placed upon their heads, there in the temples

 & when midday came, they all sang & danced

 quietly, calmly, evenly they danced

 they kept going as they danced

 ◦ ◦ ◦

             I offer flowers. I sow flower seeds. I plant flowers. I assemble flowers. I pick flowers. I pick different flowers. I remove flowers. I seek flowers. I offer flowers. I arrange flowers. I thread a flower. I string flowers. I make flowers. I form them to be extending, uneven, rounded, round bouquets of flowers.        

            I make a flower necklace, a flower garland, a paper of flowers, a bouquet, a flower shield, hand flowers. I thread them. I string them. I provide them with grass. I provide them with leaves. I make a pendant of them. I smell something. I smell them. I cause one to smell something. I cause him to smell. I offer flowers to one. I offer him flowers. I provide him with flowers. I provide one with flowers. I provide one with a flower necklace. I provide him with a flower necklace. I place a garland on one. I provide him a garland. I clothe one in flowers. I clothe him in flowers. I cover one with flowers. I cover him with flowers. I destroy one with flowers. I destroy him with flowers. I injure one with flowers. I injure him with flowers.

           I destroy one with flowers; I destroy him with flowers; I injure one with flowers: with drink, with food, with flowers, with tobacco, with capes, with gold. I beguile, I incite him with flowers, with words; I beguile him, I say, “I caress him with flowers. I seduce one. I extend one a lengthy discourse. I induce him with words.”

           I provide one with flowers. I make flowers, or I give them to one that someone will observe a feast day. Or I merely continue to give one flowers; I continue to place them in one’s hands, I continue to offer them to one’s hands. Or I provide one with a necklace, or I provide one with a garland of flowers.

(Nahuatl/Aztec)

Translated from Spanish by Arthur J. O. Anderson & Charles E. Dibble

 

 

No comments: