To begin ...

As the twentieth century fades out
the nineteenth begins
.......................................again
it is as if nothing happened
though those who lived it thought
that everything was happening
enough to name a world for & a time
to hold it in your hand
unlimited.......the last delusion
like the perfect mask of death

Wednesday, September 8, 2021

 Jerome & Diane Rothenberg

A BOOK OF THE BOOK

                                    a gathering of fragments for Steve Clay’s 70th birthday

8.ix.2021

 

A book in movement

never stands still.

 

*

 

And in the mind

a book

rewrites itself

letter by letter.

 

*

 

The eyes, looking inward,

ready for dying.

 

*

 

Is what I see or don’t

the book you gave me?

 

*

 

I feel my way by touch

to turn a leaf

until the book falls shut.

 

*

 

A book for which I haven’t written anything

but which I claim to be my own.                          (Juan Luis Martínez)

 

*

 

A book of myths

in which

our names do not appear.                                       (Adrienne Rich)

 

*

 

Your heart a book of paintings

a book about impermanence.

 

*

 

Angels sit on clouds

some dance

each one holds up a book

or writes in it.

 

*

 

I try writing in a book

in which the words

are volatile

& vanish

as I write them.

 

*

 

When we leave the world

behind

a book reflects our voices

in a book

 

*

 

Within the book worlds came together.

 

*

 

A burnt book

that remains

a book.

 

*

 

The book is ending

where the book

began.

 

[N.B. For my earlier full tribute to Steve Clay, see Steve Clay's Granary Books: A Tribute, first published in 2006.  He was of course my co-editor / co-author on A Book of the Book: Some Works & Projections about the Book & Writing, published by Granary Books in 2000.   And as the publisher of Granary Books over the last 35 years, his contribution to our literature has been enormous. (j.r.)] 

No comments: